What is RTI?
RTI stands for Right to Information as a fundamental right of citizens of Pakistan acknowledged under Article 19/A of the Constitution. The Punjab Transparency & Right to Information Act 2013 provides detailed procedure for citizens to file RTI Application to PIOs and to assail the orders of PIOs before Punjab Information Commission. A citizen in exercise of RTI can have access to information in all matters of public importance subject to regulation and reasonable restrictions imposed by law.
What are benefits of RTI?
- RTI provides an opportunity to citizens to comment on public services and performance of public bodies.
- It develops public opinion about public services and functions of public bodies which is necessary for democracy.
- It helps the authorities to identify gaps and lapses in governance.
- It contributes to improve public services.
- It ensures efficient and corruption free public services.
- It makes public functionaries / bodies responsive to citizens.
Pro-active Disclosure of Public Information